There is so much to do here on the Eastern Shore, and in places nearby. M and I talk a lot about doing this or doing that, and then we promptly forget about it. I thought it high time I started a list to help us remember, and as a place to check things off as we do them.
- Kayak the water trails at Pocomoke River State Park.
- Kayak the water trails Deal Island Wildlife Management Area.
- Look for sea glass at launch viewing site in Greenbackville, Virginia.
- Ride (cycle) some of the Sea Gull Century route.
- Take a Captain Barry tour of the marshes in autumn to see the glasswort in bloom.
- Take our bikes and ride the ferry from Lewes to Cape May. Cycle around Cape May.
Take a boating course.
Food (places to eat)
- The Farmers Daughter, Chincoteague, VA.
- Ray’s Shanty Restaurant, Wattsville, VA. (Particularly: Lobster night!)
The Bay Bridge-Tunnel restaurant. Eat there before they close it!
- Wintering birds at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.
- Cemeteries on Deal Island.
- Abandoned houses and buildings of the Eastern Shore, particularly in Accomack County.
Places to visit
- Smith Island.
- Tangier Island.
- The Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia.
- Mutton Hunk Fen Natural Area Preserve, Accomack County, Virginia, to see the “globally rare sea-level fen community.”
- Jamestown, Virginia.
- Yorktown, Virginia.
- Ellicott City, Maryland.
- St. Michaels, Maryland.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, Richmond, Virginia.
- Tour a secret island on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
- Saxis, Virginia.
- Rehobeth, Maryland (Coventry Parish Ruins).
- Watch the moon set at the Point.